3 axis to 16 axis cnc milling machine comparison
There are so many CNC mills you can buy and, to be honest, it can be a bit confusing. With that in mind, I decided to put together this 3 axis to 12 axis cnc milling machine comparison so you can make an informed decision regarding which one is right for you.
3 axis cnc milling machine
3 axis cnc milling machine is the most widely used CNC machine. A typical 3 axis cnc milling machine can be fitted with an automatic tool changer and a part probe. Some machines are specifically designed for the desktop, but are not as precise or powerful as those in industrial settings.
3 axis cnc milling machines can be controlled with a computer numerical control (CNC) system. This involves using a computer to control the movement of the machine tool. The CNC system is called machining center, which consists of a controller and motion controller, along with other components such as drive units and amplifiers.
3 axis cnc milling machine features
1. It is a small three axis CNC milling machine (X, Y, Z), can be used for professional jewelry making tools and dental products;
2. The main shaft designed by high-speed motor is characterized by high speed, low noise, low vibration and strong stability;
3. Simple and convenient operation;
4. X, Y and Z axes are equipped with precision ball screw to ensure the accuracy of positioning and repetition;
5. The sliding table is made of stainless steel material, which is wear-resistant, rust-proof and easy to clean;
6. It has excellent dust-proof effect;
7. The machine body adopts the full metal plate structure of aluminum alloy to ensure the strength and rigidity of the machine;
8. This machine can be equipped with special software according to the actual needs of customers to complete various processing modes such as milling, drilling, cutting and engraving.
3 axis cnc milling machine limitations
The 3 axis cnc milling machine can be divided into two categories: horizontal and vertical. There are some limitations on the operation of the two machines, so what are the limitations of the 3 axis cnc milling machine? The following is a small editor for everyone to do a simple introduction.
1. Limit the effective cutting width of the tool
For shoulder milling, the effective width of cut is limited by the length of the tool. There are several ways to increase this effective width. You can use a long flat end mill instead of a square shoulder cutter, or you can use a longer insert cutter when using an indexable insert cutter. However, these methods will reduce feed rate and cutting depth, and may require multiple cuts to remove large amounts of materials.
2. It is not easy to make deep holes
Deep holes cannot be cut with slotting cutters because they are too short to reach through holes with small diameters. For example, if you want to make a 10-inch deep hole with a 2-inch diameter, you need an 8-inch long flat end mill. Only such a long cutter can reach into the hole and make it from bottom to top in one pass. The resulting
4 axis cnc milling machine
The main parts of the 4 axis CNC milling machine are installed on the base. The rack and the worktable are fixed on the base. The column is installed on the front of the rack with a sliding track. The slider is fixed on the sliding track, and the front end is installed with a rotating shaft, which is connected to a spindle box through the transmission shaft. The spindle box is fixed at one end of the trolley, and a tool magazine is connected to its other end.
The tool magazine part has a magazine frame and a tool holder. When changing tools, the tool magazine rotates automatically; when milling parts, it does not move during milling; after milling, it moves horizontally together with the trolley for fast replacement of tools, thereby improving work efficiency.
4 axis cnc milling machine features
1.Milling and processing of complex shapes that would be impossible or at least very difficult to manufacture on a 3-axis CNC milling machine. This increases efficiency and reduces manufacturing costs;
2.The possibility of using a larger number of tools for production, which speeds up the process;
3.High speed and less time for tool changes compared to traditional machines;
4.Because the 4th axis is integrated into the spindle, there are no additional line feeds that could potentially cause errors in positioning;
5.The most important advantage is the possibility of new designs without changing equipment
4 axis cnc milling machine limitations
4 axis cnc milling machines have one more rotary axis in addition to X, Y & Z axes. They are often used for machining prismatic parts and are mostly used in prototyping applications. But they also have certain limitations.
1) The most important limitation of 4th axis is that it limits the size of the part you can machine and also limits the size of cutter you can use because of interference problems between tool and machine base.
2) You should go for a 4th axis when you have to produce many parts or a complex part which cannot be done on 3 axes. If you want to make only one part, then you should use a 3D printer instead of 4th axis CNC milling machine.
5 axis cnc milling machine
5-axis machining provides infinite possibilities as to the part sizes and shapes you can effectively process. The term “5-axis” refers to the number of directions in which the cutting tool can move. On a 5-axis machining center, the cutting tool moves across the X, Y and Z linear axes as well as rotates on the A and B axes to approach the workpiece from any direction. In other words, you can process five sides of a part in a single setup.
5 axis cnc milling machine features
The 5th axis machining center is easy to use, with high precision and high efficiency. In order to facilitate the production of parts that are difficult to process on ordinary machine tools, our factory manufactures five-sided machining centers that can process parts on five sides at the same time. The five-axis machine tool has five independent axes and one worktable rotating shaft, which is mainly used for processing complex curved surfaces, molds and impellers. The 5-axis CNC milling machine features are as follows:
1. The spindle of the universal 5-axis machining center can be rotated around different directions, and can also be rotated around a certain axis
2. It has strong anti-interference ability and reliable performance
3. Five-axis CNC milling machines are highly automated and efficient
4. Five-axis CNC milling machines have a large range of processing, high precision and good surface roughness
5. The five-sided machining center adopts closed structure and high rigidity beam column
5 axis cnc milling machine limitations
For smaller parts, 5-axis milling machines are overkill and classic 3-axis machines are still the best option. For larger parts, however, 5-axis machines remain cost prohibitive due to their size and cost. Consider our example where a part requires a 20″ cube of material. Five axis milling machines are typically not available in this size range due to technical limitations and cost issues. A 4th axis would require too much travel for a part in this size range.
Reverse engineering of 3D scans can yield incredible results with traditional machining methods, but with limitations. When using the RPS system from Polyworks, pieces can be reverse engineered down to 1/1000th of an inch tolerance. This can be beneficial when working with complex shapes or patterns that would be very difficult to reproduce manually. In cases like these, reverse engineering might provide an effective alternative to a full 5 axis milling machine setup.
6 axis cnc milling machine
6 axis machine is not only have the three axes of the ordinary milling machine, but also has a rotating table, and can be around the X, Y and Z axis of rotation, which means that it can produce complex parts. The additional three rotary axes mean that machining centers can process complex profiles with a single set-up. This increases productivity while minimizing downtime, allowing operators to run several machines at the same time.
6 axis CNC machining center is mainly composed of three parts: numerical control system, automatic tool changer system and spindle system. The six-axis CNC machining center system has high precision and high reliability. The numerical control system monitors the operation status of each part of the machine tool. When an abnormal situation occurs on a part, it will stop the operation of the corresponding part in time to avoid accidents caused by fault failure. But after stopping running, we need to find out what caused this fault as soon as possible, then troubleshoot and solve it in time.
6 axis cnc milling machine features
1. The advantages of 6-axis CNC milling machine is that it can realize the processing of various complex curved surfaces and the processing of various spatial curved surfaces.
2. 6 axis CNC milling machine can be processed in any direction, and can not be restricted by space size, which is convenient to process and assemble large parts or complex shape parts, such as aircraft wings, fuselage shell, turbine and other larger complex shaped parts.
3. 6 axis cnc milling machine can realize the machining of a variety of different materials at the same time, which is more flexible in workpiece choice.
4. 6 axis CNC milling machine can also be used for punching and cutting some non metal materials, so its scope of application is very wide.
6 axis cnc milling machine limitations
The 6 axis cnc milling machine limitations. 6 axis CNC machines can also be difficult to program and require more expertise than five-axis machines. However, with the right tools and training, these challenges can be overcome and your company can be ready to improve its production capabilities with six-axis CNC milling.
Limited tool access: The additional rotation axes on a 6 axis CNC machine can make certain tools difficult or impossible to reach. Smaller tools may not be able to fit inside the machine if there is not enough clearance for the rotary axes, while larger tools may not have enough reach due to the added rotations.
Tool collision risk: If you are using a 6 axis CNC machine for a part that requires multiple tools, there is an increased risk of tool collision due to the extra rotary axes. With 6 axis machining, it is important to consider all of the movements required by each too
7 axis cnc milling machine
CNC 7 axis milling. The number of axes in a machine refers to the number of directions in which the cutting tool can move. On a 3-axis machine, the cutting tool moves across 3 axes (the X, Y and Z). On a 5-axis machine, it moves across 5 axes (X, Y, Z, A and B) by rotating on two axes. A 7-axis machine rotates on three additional axes (C and D) for complex multi-surface parts.
A 7 axis cnc milling machine is a perfect solution for many manufacturers because it can create parts with very fine tolerances and a high surface finish. The seven axis machines provide a superior level of precision and control over the manufacturing process.
7 axis cnc milling machine features
1. 7 axis cnc milling machine uses a fully enclosed structure, and the machining center is equipped with a chip removal device, which can effectively remove chips, reduce noise pollution and protect the health of machining personnel.
2. The 7 axis cnc milling machine adopts a high-precision automatic tool changer, which has high efficiency and high positioning accuracy. It can automatically change tools in place to achieve high-speed machining operations such as milling and cutting.
3. The tool magazine of the 7 axis cnc milling machine has three types: linear tool magazine, disc tool magazine and arm tool magazine according to its structure.
4. The 7 axis cnc milling machine spindle cooling system adopts a circulating water cooling method, which has good heat dissipation effect and fast temperature drop rate.
7 axis cnc milling machine limitations
In theory, 7 axis cnc milling machine has unlimited possibilities, but in reality there is a limit to it. In the actual design and processing, many factors will restrict the degree of freedom of the 7 axis cnc milling machine. The following is a brief introduction to some of its limitations:
1. There are few processable materials
The current 7 axis cnc milling machine only has aluminum and titanium as the processable materials. Although there are other materials that can be processed, the results are not satisfactory. If you want to achieve more complex processing, you must use these two materials.
2. There is a limitation on the size of the parts
The size of each part must be within certain limits, which can not be too large or too small. If it exceeds this limit, it cannot be processed by 7 axis cnc milling machine. Therefore, when using 7 axis cnc milling machine to process parts, we need to know if our parts meet its requirements first.
8 axis cnc milling machine
The 8 axis cnc milling machine is a CNC machining center developed on the basis of 5 axis machining center.
The difference between the 8 axis CNC milling machine and the 5 axis CNC milling machine is that the former has three additional rotary axes, making it an eight-axis CNC milling machine.
The 8 axis cnc milling machine can rotate three main shafts, including X1, Y1, Z1 axes and X2, Y2, Z2 axes of rotary table at the same time. It can also be considered as a two-coordinate linkage or two-coordinate independent processing.
8 axis cnc milling machine features
1.Our new 8 axis cnc milling machine is equipped with a 4-axis CNC system and two sets of rotary tables (1 set of 4th CNC axis, 1 set of 5th CNC axis ). It has 8 axis in total.
2.The 8 axis is equipped with two rotary tables. The table on the horizontal plane (X-Y plane) can rotate around the Z axis, and the table on the vertical plane (Z-X plane) can rotate around the Y axis.
3.The two rotary tables are independently controlled by two different control systems, which can be operated synchronously or independently.
4.The rotary axes on both left and right sides can be configured at the same time to form a closed space structure, which has good rigidity and stability and high machining precision.
5.The machine adopts hard rail guide, gear drive and imported servo motor to ensure fast speed, high precision and high efficiency in machining process.
8 axis cnc milling machine limitations
The 8 axis CNC milling machine has a wide range of applications. It is one of the most widely used mechanical equipment in mould manufacturing. With the continuous upgrading of CNC technology, it will surely play a greater role in the future.
1. The processing efficiency of the 8 axis cnc milling machine is not high enough for large-scale workpieces;
2. The cost of an 8 axis cnc milling machine is relatively high, and its maintenance cost is relatively large;
3. The 8 axis cnc milling machine only processes metal materials, and other machining methods are used for processing non-metal materials such as wood and plastic;
4. At present, the 8 axis CNC lathe has more simple processing functions, and it is difficult to complete a variety of complex processes with a single machine;
5. In addition to its own technical limitations, the limitation of the 8 axis CNC lathe also lies in human factors: operators must have certain theoretical knowledge and rich practical experience in order to ensure the quality of parts processed by 8 axis CNC lathes.
9 axis cnc milling machine
The 9 axis cnc milling machine is for machining complex components. This 9 axis cnc milling machine is based on 5 axis machining center, and add 4 axis CNC module to become a 9 axis machine. This is the new version of 5 axis cnc milling machine. Our company also have 3 axis,4axis and 5axis cnc milling machines for sale, welcome to contact us for more details.
9 axis cnc milling machine features
1.The 9 axis cnc milling machine is equipped with a servo motor and servo reducer, which can be rotated in any direction.
2.The 9 axis cnc milling machine has an automatic tool length setting function, and the tool length is measured by a linear scale.
3.The 9 axis cnc milling machine adopts the grinding knife knife seat, which can ensure stable workpiece processing accuracy and low noise.
4.The 9 axis cnc milling machine adopts the standard disc rack, which is convenient for replacing the specifications of the tool holder and improving the performance ratio.
5.The 9 axis cnc milling machine adopts dual system display and operation interface, which can realize real-time interaction between software operation system and hardware operation system and improve production efficiency.
9 axis cnc milling machine limitations
We all know the milling machine, but there are so many types of milling machines, do you know that? Today we will talk about the limitations of 9 axis CNC milling machines.
1. The first is the processing difficulty. Since the machining process of a 9-axis CNC milling machine is more complicated than that of a 3-axis cnc router, it is more difficult to process.
2. Another limitation is that it cannot process complex surfaces, such as curved and rotating surfaces, which are very complicated.
3. The last one is processing accuracy. The processing accuracy of a 9-axis CNC milling machine is lower and the cutting force is larger, so the precision requirement of the workpiece material is relatively high, because some materials have poor rigidity and cannot produce good results.
11 axis cnc milling machine
11-Axis Machine is the highest and most ideal Machine world,cnc saw machine have 11 axis ,6 degree of freedom ,comparing with traditional 6 axis CNC machine,some degree of freedom can not work well can’t enable to do high tolerance machining .By adding more than 5 axis into the machine tool, so that the fixturing machine ,tooling changeover can be realized by automatic tool change system ;and even some models are equipped with multi-pallet tool storage and change systems to make changes faster.
11 axis cnc milling machine features
The 11 axis multi-spindle milling machine is a commonly used machine tool in the industry. It has been widely used in the processing and manufacturing of aviation parts and precision parts, and has been recognized by many users. Let’s get to know the features of this 11 axis cnc milling machine:
1. The CNC system adopts a special high-speed milling control system that supports general G code and M code instructions, which can realize the functions of automatic programming, automatic tool setting, automatic tool change, automatic cutting, automatic measurement, etc. It is suitable for rough machining and fine machining of large, medium and small parts with complex shapes.
2. The three-axis linkage of the machine adopts a high-precision imported ball screw linear guide rail (or linear guide rail), with high rigidity, high positioning accuracy and long service life;
3. The body material is made of high-quality cast iron HT300/HT350 with high rigidity;
4. The spindle system uses a high-speed spindle motor to drive a Taipei air bearing spindle to achieve high-speed rotation;
5. High speed cooling system: improve spindle life and cutting efficiency;
11 axis cnc milling machine limitations
Nowadays, with the development of science and technology, CNC equipment is rapidly developing. Five-axis CNC equipment has been introduced in many places. But do you know what the limitations of five-axis CNC equipment are?
1. Due to the use of a larger cutting speed and larger feed per tooth, it is necessary to consider the issue of tool vibration, especially for difficult-to-cut materials such as titanium alloys;
2. Higher requirements on machine tool rigidity and accuracy;
3. The machining program is more complicated, and there must be a tool path program that can be used by multiple axes.
4. For many complex surfaces, only the tool path can be generated to avoid local interference generated during machining;
5. The cutter selected for five-axis processing must be lighter than that used in traditional three-axis processing;
6. High processing efficiency and high productivity require large process planning and cutting parameters;
7. For five-axis linkage machining, it is necessary to consider the interference between the tools and between the tools and the workpiece to ensure that there is no collision between them during processing;
12 axis cnc milling machine
The 12-axis CNC milling machine is a high-precision, high-speed milling machine with 5-axis linkage. It has the advantages of high efficiency, good processing quality and high price/performance ratio. The multi-head linkage CNC milling machine is available in a variety of sizes, with an X axis stroke of up to 3200 mm and a Y axis stroke of up to 1600 mm. The five-axis linkage machining center has three rotary axes (A, B, C) and two swivel axes (X, Y). During operation, the A axis can rotate ±120°; the B axis can rotate ±100°; the C axis can rotate ±360°.
The 12 axis cnc milling machine is highly automated and easy to use. The operator only needs to input the NC code data into the computer through the program software related to the numerical control system. After that, it can be automatically machined by itself according to the program instruction.
12 axis cnc milling machine features
1.12 axis cnc milling machine running time shortening, processing efficiency is greatly improved.
2.12 axis cnc milling machine can realize multi-coordinate linkage processing, multi-axis linkage operation at the same time, greatly improve the productivity and precision of parts processing.
3.12 axis cnc milling machine can complete three-dimensional surface processing without processing after clamping once.
4.12 axis cnc milling machine can reduce the number of equipment and processing operations in use, improve equipment utilization and reduce production costs.
5.12 axis cnc milling machine can effectively avoid human error and improve product quality stability.
6.12 axis cnc milling machine has good compatibility and easy programming, which saves more time for users.
12 axis cnc milling machine limitations
CNC milling machine is a good helper for us, so what are its limitations? Below we will introduce the 12 axis cnc milling machine limitations.
1. Can not process the parts with deep holes or blind holes with back holes.
2. The surface of the processed parts is easily deformed and has poor dimensional accuracy and surface roughness.
3. It is difficult to process the parts with complex shape, and it is easy to cause cracks due to large cutting force and high cutting temperature.
4. It is easy to have residual stress after processing, causing deformation of the workpiece.
16 axis cnc milling machine
If you are looking for a 16 axis CNC milling machine, you have come to the right place. 16 axis (16 x 2) milling machine is in reality very similar to the known 4×4 CNC milling machine. The difference is that 4×4 is a 4 axis milling machine with an added feature of an extra 3 axes actuated by a linear motor.
16 axis cnc milling machine features
1.16-axis CNC milling machine is the world’s first 16 axes machine, it has a number of patented technologies and innovative design.
2.The workpiece is fixed on the rotary table, which can rotate 360°, and the tool can be moved along three directions at the same time to complete 3D machining.
3.The special positioning device is added so that the four surfaces of the workpiece are automatically scanned to realize automatic programming and automatic machining.
4.The whole machine adopts modular design, which can be easily disassembled, transported and installed to reduce the cost of installation and commissioning.
5.Integrated design with high precision, convenient maintenance and easy operation.
16 axis cnc milling machine limitations
The CNC 16-axis milling machine is a professional high-end milling machine. The milling head can be rotated 360 degrees, and the maximum machining radius is 2 meters. The precision of the machine tool is high, and the spindle speed has reached 10,000 revolutions per minute; but its disadvantages are also obvious: first, the production cost is high, and the price of a single unit is about 100 million yuan; secondly, the power consumption is large except for the energy consumption of spindles It also consumes more energy on cooling.
The average hourly power consumption of a large CNC 5-axis machining center with a power of 30 kilowatts needs to reach 150 kilowatts to meet its own use needs; thirdly, it has high requirements for operating workers. The technical level of operating workers must not be lower than that of intermediate engineers.
As a beginner, choosing the right type of cnc milling machine can be a quite challenging when you don’t have so much idea about the technical specifications of these cutting machines. We have discussed in detail all its features and also compared the offerings of some of the biggest brands to make you understand better about its functionalities.